General CE FAQs
We offer a variety of short classes, ranging from one day to several weeks, in a variety of disciplines including woodworking, bookbinding, carpentry, jewelry making, musical instrument making, and weaving. View all classes and register.
Since bringing in-person CE classes back to NBSS in Winter/Spring 2022, we are offering a limited version of a typical schedule. In subsequent semesters, we expect to see our schedule grow to a more standard offering. Please see the brochures below for a sense of our current offerings.
Winter/Spring — Summer — Fall
For online classes, we’re launching a limited offering in summer and fall 2022 of about 5-10 classes, with more being planned in the future. To stay informed of CE updates, please sign up to receive emails from NBSS.
Yes! NBSS has made a long term commitment to developing online coursework for hands-on craft and trades. We’ve developed a five-year plan for this and right now, we’re working toward the launch.
Students must be 18 years old at the time of the class. No students younger than 18 are permitted at this time, even with a guardian present. We do not currently offer any classes for ages under 18, outside of our existing middle and high school partnership programs.
For those under 18 years, the Eliot School in Jamaica Plain frequently offers youth classes. Please check out their website at eliotschool.org/classes.
Please visit our class calendar to register online. Registration is complete once payment is processed, and you should receive a confirmation email with all of the information you need in advance of your first day of class.
We accept all major credit cards for purchasing a CE class or Gift Certificate. You can simply add your card information at checkout while online.
- Unfortunately, we are not able to process credit card information over the phone at this time.
- Checks may be sent to the School “Attn: Continuing Education.” Please make checks payable to: North Bennet Street School Continuing Education. Include class title, class start date, and your phone number and email on the check. Registration is not complete until payment is confirmed.
- If you received a paper Gift Certificate, please call or email email@example.com to redeem. If you received a Gift Card Code, you may apply it at check out online For each type of gift certificate, additional balances may be paid by credit card.
There are currently no scholarships for NBSS Continuing Education classes. If you have been awarded a scholarship or have funding that you think may be applicable please contact the Continuing Education Office. Some examples are:
- Veteran’s Association Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Benefits.
- Veteran’s Association Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits (for the Three-Month Furniture Making Intensive only).
- AmeriCorps Education Award Funding.
Directions and transportation information can be found on our Visit page. We do not offer parking onsite.
Unfortunately, at this time, we are not able to offer individual or group tours of our Continuing Education workspaces. Until we can do so, please visit us online through our virtual tour.
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer private lessons at this time. Once in-person and online classes are more fully established, we’ll revisit this policy. To express interest for future private lessons, or to ask any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NBSS does not have any accommodations. Tips on where to stay can be found on our Visit page. Affordable short and long term housing can be found on websites like AirBnb.
For classes from June through August, students can often stay in the dormitories at Massachusetts College of Art for a fraction of the cost of a hotel. Please check out massart.edu for more information.
Occasionally, classes require students to bring some of their own tools and supplies. The online descriptions will either have a link to a Supply List or it will note that all supplies are provided. We recommend saving your receipts for supplies in the event that a class is cancelled or the incorrect supply is purchased.
This is a general list of how to dress for the shop environment, please contact the Continuing Education Office if you have any specific questions or needs.
- Jeans, a t-shirt, and a good pair of shoes suffices for all shop environments.
- No open-toed shoes.
- No dresses or skirts (ok for Bookbinding classes).
- No loose clothing or accessories.
- Be prepared to tie back long hair.
- Long pants suggested.
- Supportive footwear suggested.
Generally classes break for about an hour for lunch. Shorter breaks are taken as needed throughout the day. There are many options to purchase food nearby.
Classes that do not meet 50% enrollment one week before the class start date are often cancelled. Registered students will be notified and will receive a full refund. Occasionally, a class will run at less than 50% enrollment.
Occasionally, classes are cancelled due to inclement weather for the safety of our staff and students. Check local news stations for school closings or call 617.227.0155 x300 for a recorded message. Cancellations are announced by 5:30 am. Classes are made up as scheduling permits.
Please email email@example.com to cancel your registration and provide a reason for doing so. Cancellations requests received at least 7 days before the class start date will be refunded less a $25.00 fee. Refunds are not given for cancellations received within 7 days of the class start time. Registrations are non-transferable NBSS does not issue credits. Students may not transfer registrations to another section of the same course, to a different course or to another individual to attend in their stead.
For online classes with kits, the cost of the kit is non-refundable. Cancellation policies for our Three-Month Furniture Making Intensive and Private Instruction classes are listed separately in each class description.
Registration for continuing education classes is non-transferable. Students may not transfer registrations to another section of the same course, to a different course or to another individual to attend in their stead. Cancellation requests received at least 7 days before the class start date will be refunded less a $25 fee.
Before joining an online CE class in Zoom, make sure to review the following:
- Rules and norms for online classes will be similar to a physical classroom.
- Update Zoom: Make sure you are using the most recent version of Zoom and be sure to check for updates regularly.
- Check Audio: When logging in, test your mic and make sure you can be heard and you can hear.
- Minimize Distractions: For everyone’s benefit, join the class from a quiet place and utilize earphones/buds if possible. Close browser tabs not required for participating in class.
- Participation is an essential component of this course and trying to maintain a class environment that is similar to face-to-face instruction is the goal. That said, we encourage you to keep your cameras switched on, so your face is clearly visible during class.
- If you need to switch off the video temporarily or your Internet access cannot consistently support video, please send a direct message to the instructor and class assistant through the Chat function on Zoom.
- If you would like to maintain privacy of your space, please choose a preferred Zoom background (if your computer supports it) or your choice of an avatar.
- Name Display: Edit your name on the Zoom display to correspond with the name with which you would like to be addressed and/or a pronunciation guide. Feel free to include your preferred pronoun as well.
- Microphone: In order to eliminate background noises, switch off your microphone (mute) when you’re not speaking.
- Asking Questions/Participating in Discussion: Raise your hand when you want to ask a question/comment/make an observation during discussion. You may also use the Chat function. The instructor and class assistant will try to integrate the chat conversation with the voice conversation that is happening during class.
- Breakout Rooms: Active class participation also extends to the breakout rooms where you may have assigned group work to complete. Please show respect for your classmates, instructors, and class assistants by resisting the urge to use digital devices in class or the breakout rooms for non-class purposes. Your instructor and class assistant will periodically pop into breakout rooms to see how things are going, but if you have a specific question while in the breakout room, send the instructor and class assistant a message through the chat.
- Device Advice: While it is technically possible to ‘attend’ class on your smartphone, to avoid the challenges that presents, using a laptop or desktop computer is strongly recommended.
If you have any questions about the content of a class, please contact your instructor/s. Their contact information is available in your learn.nbss.edu class site (the “Meet Your Instructor/s” lesson).
If you need technical support for an online class (for example, issues with learn.nbss.edu or Zoom), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CE Health & Safety FAQs
As of January 1, 2022 all Continuing Education students and instructors who participate in an in-person class must follow the protocols outlined below. Note that these are the same policies that apply to our Full-Time students, faculty, and staff.
- Vaccination: Full Covid-19 vaccination is required of all CE students and instructors. When registering for a course, you will be asked to confirm all attendees are fully vaccinated (either two does of Pfizer/Moderna, or one dose of J&J). Attendees may be required to show proof of vaccination on their first day of class.
- Masks: Masks are optional for vaccinated individuals while at NBSS, or at School-sponsored events. Unvaccinated individuals should wear a mask at all times.
- Testing: We do not require regular testing of students and instructors, as they are all fully vaccinated. View our general Health & Safety Plan for more information about testing when ill or exposed.
In the event you can’t attend class due to illness, please let us know immediately by emailing email@example.com. Due to the variety of conditions under which this may take place (timing, class length and duration, symptoms, etc), all instances of illness will be handled on an individual basis. In general, we will adhere to our standard refund policies, but we recognize this is an uncertain time and will work with you on a case-by-case basis.
In the event of a positive Covid-19 test result, please let us know immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the variety of conditions under which this may take place (timing, class length and duration, symptoms, etc), all instances will be handled on an individual basis. In general, we will adhere to our standard refund policies, but we recognize this is an uncertain time and will work with you on a case-by-case basis.
Cancellations requests, for any reason, received at least seven (7) days before the class start date will be refunded less a $25.00 fee. Refunds are not given for cancellations received within seven (7) days of the class start time, or anytime after the class starts. Registrations are non-transferable and NBSS does not issue credits. For online classes with kits, the cost of the kit is non-refundable.
Note that cancellation policies for our Three-Month Furniture Making Intensive are listed separately, due to the nature of the course.